JALLIANWALA BAGH APOLOGY ISSUE IS WORK IN PROGRESS: UK

Wednesday, 10/04/2019

http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

LONDON: British minister Mark Field on Tuesday said seeking an apology for the April 13, 1919, Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar is a “work in progress” among ministers, officials and the British high commission in New Delhi.

Responding to a debate in parliament, the foreign office minister repeated London’s hitherto policy of expressing “deep regret”, and added that there is an “ongoing sense of consideration” in the government over the issue. “It is not appropriate for me today to make the apology I know many would wish to come. I can assure the House that this is a work in progress. It is an active debate taking place among ministers and among senior officials and our high commissioner in New Delhi,” he said.

“I recognise the enduring and very deep feelings and emotions this incident raises not just here in the House, but continues to raise across the world… This was a tragedy and a shameful episode in British history.”

Field said the high commission had been asked to visit the memorial site in Amritsar on April 13 and lay a wreath. There will also be a public acknowledgement of the centenary and a sense of “deep regret” in events organised in the UK, he said.

Punjab Politics News

Punjab General News

Balbir Sidhu agrees with expert’s recommendation for increasing legal age to buy tobacco from 18 to 21 years

Monday, 01/07/2019

https://www.brightpunjabexpress.com/index.php/2019/06/30/balbir-sidhu-agrees-with-experts-recommendation-for-increasing-legal-age-to-buy-tobacco-from-18-to-21-years/

Chandigarh : A consultation was held here on Sunday on ‘Why legal age to buy tobacco and legal nicotine products should be increased beyond 18 years?’ It was organised jointly by Department of Community Medicine and School of Public Health PGIMER, Chandigarh, State Tobacco Control Cell(STCC) Punjab and Strategic Institute for Public Health Education and Research (SIPHER).

 

NRI NEWS

Punjab-origin man pleads guilty to sex attack in UK

Friday, 12/07/2019

http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

LONDON: An Indian-origin man who subjected a young woman to a violent sexual attack has pleaded guilty at the Leicester Crown Court and is due to be sentenced on August 16.